So, I spent a few years thinking this wasn’t possible, until I found an obscure forum post describing how it can be done. I thought I’d share it with you.
Steps to watch movies on your OneDrive on your XBox 360 or XBox One
- Login to OneDrive at https://onedrive.live.com
- Navigate to the top-level folder of your movies (Note my example is the “10 Vid Movies”
- View the folder options (top right icon with the lower-case (i) )
- Change the folder type from “Documents” to “Pictures”
- On your Xbox, go to the app store and download the OneDrive App
- When you open it, go to the shared section. Look to the folder with your name. Open it and you should find all folders available in the hierarchy you enabled by changing the folder type.
NOTE: This should not change how you access any of the files or folders from the web site or via the OneDrive syncing on your computer. It hasn’t changed my interactions, but I can’t guarantee yours will be like mine.
A quick warning — Every time I’ve sat to watch the movies, it cuts off at around 45 minutes. Unfortunately, unlike Netflix, it doesn’t remember where it cut off, so if you want to resume the program, you have to fast-forward all the way there.
As of 4/17/2017, there was a recent update to the OneDrive app. I haven’t tried it since the update, so maybe they fixed it, but more likely OneDrive specifically does that to discourage streaming from its service so it can save on bandwidth. I hope it doesn’t do that anymore, but I’m not holding my breath.
Good luck and happy streaming!